A computer is an electronic device that manipulates information, or data. It has the ability to store, retrieve, and process data.
We already know that we can use a computer to type documents, send email, play games, listenin music, browse the Web and more... . we can also use it to edit or create image, drawing, presentations, audio, and even videos.
Meaning of the word "Computer"
Computer is derived from a Latin word "computare" which means to "calculate", "count" or "to think together". So, more precisely the word computer means a "device that performs computation".
father of computer
Charles Babbage was considered to be the father of computing after his invention and concept of the Analytical Engine in 1837. The Analytical Engine contained an Arithmetic Logic Unit (ALU), basic flow control, and integrated memory; hailed as the first general-purpose computer concept.
Some interesting facts about computers
- In the 1st generation of computers built with vacuum tubes.
- In 1957, FORTRAN (Formula Translator) was introduced.
- Computers were built with Transistors in the 2nd generation of computers.
- In the 3rd generation of computers, Transistors were replaced with Integrated Circuits.
- In the 4th generation of computers, Microprocessors were used to built Computers.
- In 1981, IBM PC with Intel processors and MS-Dos were introduced.
- In 1984, Macintosh Computers were introduced.
- In 1985, Microsoft Windows GUI was introduced.
- In 1989, Intel 486 computers were introduced.
- In 1990, Windows 3.0 operating System for PCs was launched.
- In 1991, the World Wide Web was introduced to the general public.
- In 1991, Linux operating was developed.
- In 1993, Intel's Pentium was introduced.
- In 1995, windows 95 operating system was made released.
- In June, 1996 Windows 4.0 operating system was released.
- On February 17, 2000, Windows 2000 was released.
- Windows XP was released on 25th October, 2001.
- On November 30th, 2006 Windows Vista was released.
- On July 22nd 2009, Windows 7 was introduced.
- On Windows 8, the successor of Windows 7 was released on October 28th, 2012.
- answered 2 years ago
- Community wiki