Roles of an operating system:
1. Resource Manager (Memory management, File system management , Input Output Management, Management of peripheral devices, Processor management)
2. Provides user with graphical user interface(GUI)
3. Manages the Computer hardware
4. Provides basis for application program and acts as an intermidiary between the computer user and the computer hardware.
5. Provides security and protection
6. Provides and activates various utility services like editors,tnaslators, compilers and other applications.