Its main tasks are:
- validating input (Validation must be done in the server. A redundant validation in the client could be used to avoid server calls when speed is very critical.)
- manipulating UI elements
- applying styles
- some calculations are done when you don't want the page to refresh so often
The person in charge of front end programming must know:
- basic graphic design
- maybe Flash
- UI design
- information design, etc.
Server side programming has to do with generating dynamic content. It runs on servers. Many of these servers are "headless". Most web pages are not static, they search a database in order to show the user updated personalized information. This sides interacts with the back end, like say, the database.
This programming can be done in a lot of languages:
- Java and jsp
- Ruby on Rails, etc.
This code has to do with:
- Querying the database
- Encode the data into html
- Insert and update information onto the database
- Business rules and calculations
The person in charge of server side programming must know:
- some of the languages mentioned above
- linux/unix shell scripting
- business rules, etc.
- answered 7 years ago
- G John