The area of Discrete Mathematics was taught in my Computer Science degree. This has served me well over my programming career.
From that article:
Discrete mathematics includes the following topics:
- Logic - a study of reasoning
- Set theory - a study of collections of elements
- Number theory
- Combinatorics, including
- Design theory
- Enumerative combinatorics
- Graph theory
- Algorithmics - a study of methods of calculation
- Information theory
- Digital geometry
- Computability and complexity theories - dealing with theoretical and practical limitations of algorithms
- Partially ordered sets
- Counting and relations
There are many more spcialised areas of mathematics that would be useful depending on what sort of software you are writing.
But overall I've the topics covered in Discrete mathematics to be core background knowledge for working with any programming language, relational database, algorithm design, testing and so on.
- answered 2 years ago
- B Butts